Tuesday, May 3, 2011

NPS # 3 – Darvagh Forest – Cookstown – May 2nd 2011

Wow what a day! Less than 10% of normal rainfall for April meant this was going to be a fast one! Vinny, Roney and I loaded up the Subaru and set on on the drive to Cookstown. Glorious sunshine and high spirits made the journey fly past. This was our first time at the venue and at a race host by Carn wheelers, so we were unsure what to expect. We were not disappointed, a superb venue, real nice forest, rivers, great atmosphere and a stunning fast course.

The Senior 1 race started real fast, too fast for me, so I let Bugsey go with mega-junior Matt. I rode around with DH star Gar McKee for a couple of laps, then pulled away from him on the 3rd. I then got news that Bugs had a problem and I was leading……time to chill and bring it home…..or so I thought, half a lap to go and Gar appears 10m behind me!!! Engage the afterburners and I go home with 45 seconds to spare. Deadly, 2nd race of the season and win # 1. Gar was 2nd, Alfie a stunning 3rd. Vinny had some great racing to take 8th, Roney was happy enough with 29th in Senior 2.

All in all, a great day out. Many congrats to Carn Wheelers, a great event that they can be real proud of. We will be back. I said to the lads on the way back that it was like racing in the UK, to which Roney replied….’we were’.


Elbows ahoy just after the start

Great water splash

Mega fast trails

Lots of sprinting

Gar and I do battle

Vinny and Dave had a great ding-dong

Mel took the Senior 1 ladies race

No comments:

Post a Comment