Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cooley Thriller – Carlingford - 28th August 2010

I love the McCabes…….Gerry, Jonny and Deco. 3 brothers, crazy about all things extreme. Only someone special would take on organizing an event like this.

I was really looking forward to this race. 55km of singletracking in the Cooley mountains, deadly. Robin picked me up early on sat morning, and 1:15 later we were in Carlingford. A little later 250 riders rolled out of the village, and up the main fireroad. Robin and I were chatting in about 20th place, while everyone in front was real serious, attacking, killing themselves….jez lads, relax, 3 hours to go!

After the first descent, Aido, Ray, Robin, Glenn, Richi and I were together, tackling the long climb to the aerials to Ravensdale. Down the tellytubbies descent, it was just Robin, Ray, and I. Great fun, although, I was suffering on the next climb! Ray was buzzing, bootin it on the descents, and attackin on the climb. I dropped off a bit towards the end of the race, sufferin with tiredness and fatness.

I finished up 3rd, not too far behind. A great event, open top singletrack hills and proper mountains. A credit to the McCabes and their team of helpers.

3 hours later, 4 leffes and 4 hoegdardens, we hit Carlingford for a few drinks a bit of dancing , great crack.

Next day we only managed 2 hours in Bellurgen. Aidan showed us the 12 hours course. 10km of singletrack, deadly. A fun weekend away, looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment